January 02, 2006

Why Blacksmithing?

Recently, my brother-in-law asked me "Why do you want to learn blacksmithing?" Since I have moved back to the country, I know I will need to be able to cut and weld iron for gates, fence corners, etc. And, we have a lot of limestone rock in our area, so I will probably try my hand at shaping a few rocks - squaring corners, flattening sides, etc. With blacksmithing skills, I will be able to build tools instead of buying them - where it makes sense. The complete modern blacksmith has instructions on how to build rock shaping tools.

But what really attracts me to the craft is "permanence." If I make something with my own two hands that it is functional and useful, someday my children might be able to tell their friends "Yeah, my dad made that."

I hope to locate some information on forging stainless steel, so I can (eventually) make some kitchen items for my wife. If anyone has information to share, leave a comment, or check my first post for contact information.

1 comment:

the_constable said...

Hello, my name is Stuart Geisler. I am a professional blacksmith, who forges tool for a living. You can find out more about me by clicking on this website http://sites.google.com/site/stuarttheblacksmith/home