January 13, 2006

Scrounging for tools

When I started working in earnest to become a hobby blacksmith, I studied all of the books in the library and many pages on the internet first. Then I started talking to friends, neighbors, mechanics, welders, and even one student at a local technical school (they are always looking for projects). My dad gave me a small hammer head, and loaned me a small anvil with a nice flat face, and a good edge. A friend found me 4 free racks made out of steel tubing, with plywood shelves. At a garage sale, I bought a 140 lb anvil for $10.00 USD, and he threw in a few pieces of metal and a small tack barrel too! A co-worker gave me a 55 gallon drum so I could carry and store coal. My mechanic rescued a car drive-shaft. Friends can not turn you into a blacksmith, but if you make an honest effort, are patient and study the available books, you can get there. I think this is obvious, but I will say it anyway ... books won't make you a blacksmith. Your best bet is to join a local blacksmithing organization. You can probably find a local group by searching the ABANA Chapter site hosted by AnvilFire.com.

With all of the hauling that I have been doing lately, I have been thinking of installing some U-bolts in the four corner posts of my pickup bed. Then I can tie ropes in a criss-cross to firmly anchor wood, iron or a 55 gallon drum full of coal.

All I need before I can start heating metal is an anvil stand and a coal forge. I know that a tree stump is traditional, but I am also considering fabricating an anvil stand from some angle and tubular iron, with a re-bar tool rack on one side. I have located a car brake drum, but I am still looking for a truck brake drum or other suitable fire pot, some fire brick, and some plate or sheet metal to hold coal reserves.

On the net, I have found the following Brake Drum Forge links:
http://www.anvilfire.com/21centbs/forges/brkdrum1.htm
http://www.vikingmetalworks.com/firepot.html
http://www.knifenetwork.com/workshop/tut_coal_forge_warner.shtml
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Lake/7316/brake.html
http://homepage.mac.com/dbrock76/Personal40.html

What should my first project be: a fire poker, tongs, a hardie hot-cut, a chisel, a drift, or something else? Any good links to a fire poker? If I build tongs, what size should the jaws be?

Oh, and notice that my project list did not include a sword. Honestly, I have no intentions of ever making one. I might make a hunting knife in a few years, as my brother-in-law mentioned it, but it will have to wait until I build up some skill.

No comments: