December 29, 2005

Preparing for the craft

At this time, I am not even a beginner blacksmith. I am merely preparing for it. I am gathering up the bare necessities though. I have read all 3 books offered by our library:
The art of blacksmithing / Alex W. Bealer.
Practical blacksmithing / Edited by M. T. Richardson.
The complete modern blacksmith / Alexander Weygers.
Of these books, the first two are mostly intended for an intermediate or advanced blacksmith, and the third one could almost be used by a beginner. The only thing I have against "The complete modern blacksmith" is that he recommends removing safety guards on your grinder, and doesn't (that I know) mention "Metal Fever." Please research metal safety if you plan to work with metal. For those who have recently been exposed to metal vapors, I have heard that whole milk, real butter and other fatty foods can help a little bit. I am not a doctor, and this does not mean that you should be careless with metal vapors. Be safe or you could die.

I intend to read "The new edge of the anvil" as I hear that it is an excellent beginners book ... we shall see.

As for tools, I have:
ear muffs
ear plugs
full-face safety shield
safety glasses (not shaded though)
2 lb ball-pein hammer
2 wire brushes
vice-grips
8 lb sledge hammer
3 inch bench vise (very cheap!)
a few cold chisels
a small punch[updated!]
a set of inside/outside curved metal dividers, with no ruler marks.
a metal tub for quenching
a 110 lb London-Pattern anvil[updated!]
55 gallon drum to haul and store coal


A few items that I still need are:

a leather apron
welding gloves (at least until I get some decent tongs)
2, 3, and 4 lb cross-pein hammers
a blacksmith's leg vise
a project table
a coal forge

My dad has a small (maybe 20 lb) anvil that I can use until something better comes along, and I will be getting a nice swage block from the Oklahoma-based Saltfork Craftsmen Artist-Blacksmith Association. They have a 65 lb swage block for a good price. They also sell coal, which I will be using when I get or make a forge.

I have read recommendations that I should take a welding course, for the safety training, and so I could weld things together ... like a nice metal project table. Our local tech school offers evening courses in welding, but they are a bit expensive - $350.00. I guess I'll have to read a welding book and then have my brother give me a few pointers. My brother recommended that I learn oxy-acetylene welding, since that is closest to the process of forge welding. It would also be useful as a localized heat source for things that will not fit into the forge.

I know that some blacksmiths are "purists" in the sense that they want to preserve the old ways, and I very much respect that, but I don't have the luxury to avoid modern welding and grinding tools right now. After I have a shop with a few of tools, I will be able to drift and punch instead of drilling, and forge weld instead of oxy-acetylene stick welding.

Stay tuned, as my next blog will probably address the question "Why I want to learn blacksmithing?"

Does anyone have book recommendations for a beginner?
you can either leave a comment, or write me at roy_tate [at] yahoo [dot] com.

Updated: Added to my list of "tools I have", added safety links.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Roy,

Welcome to the blogosphere and to blacksmithing! I've read the books you are referring to and want to mention that "The New Edge of the Anvil" is one of the best for beginners. Jack Andrews goes into lots of detail to help you get started. He also has a section which I am featured in dealing with the Internet - see Enrique Vega.

I ran across your blog while searching technorati for "blacksmith" which is one of the tags we're using at the ArtMetal Radio - Podcast. see http://www.artmetalradio.com

Good luck with your endeavors into blacksmithing and I hope you will stay in touch via the podcasts...

QuiQue